Between moving back to London and starting a new job, I haven’t had much time for cooking lately. But last week I finally had two hours of free time – and, luckily, inspiration struck me at just the right moment. These involtini might take a long time to make, but they are definitely worth it and are sure to impress any guests.
Ingredients (makes a dozen)
- 1 sweet potato, peeled and sliced (about the same size as fries)
- 2 large tomatoes, thickly sliced
- ground pepper
- 2 aubergines
- 1 red bell pepper
- 100g walnuts
- 3 tbsp nutritional yeast
- olive oil
Preparation (takes about 1 hour)
- Preheat the oven to 200 °C
- Drizzle the sliced sweet potato in olive oil and put in the oven
- Drizzle the thickly sliced tomatoes with olive oil, then sprinkle a generous amount of breadcrumbs and pepper on top
- Slice the aubergines length-wise (so you get long slices rather than circles) and fry in a pan with enough olive oil to submerge them halfway. You may need to keep adding olive oil as aubergines absorb oil very quickly.
- In the meantime, blend the red bell pepper, walnuts, and 3 tbsp of olive oil, and the nutritional yeast in a food processor until blended but still crunchy
- When the aubergines are ready, lay them out and spread a layer of the pepper and walnut paste on them.
- Add 1 or 1/2 a tomato (depending on how big your aubergines were) to the middle of the slice
- Add 3-4 sweet potato oven baked fries on the tomato
- Roll the aubergine into little cones
- Serve while still warm, eat, and enjoy!